Make your own free website on

William "Bill" Hazelip

WILLIAM "BILL" HAZELIP was born May 29, 1823 in Edmondson County, Kentucky and was a teamster in occupation. He married NANCY CATHERINE EMBRY March 7, 1853 in Butler County, Kentucky. Nancy was born 1836 in Butler County and is the daughter of Golson Embry and Mary Sublett. Bill Hazelip was 32 when his parents settled below Brownsville near the Green River in a broken, sparsely settled country. Bill served in the Civil War, entering the Union in the Eleventh Kentucky Infantry and marched to Nashville, Tennesee, then to Shiloh where he engaged in battle. He was also in the Battle of Perryville, Kentucky. The battle of Shiloh was one of the most desperate of the Civil War. The 40,000 soldier Confederate army, under General Johnston, attacked General Grant's army of 45,000. The battle lasted from dawn until dusk after which a ferocious storm began. Lightning and gun fire illuminated the Hellish landscape and soldiers were lying helpless and bleeding on the wet ground. The following day General Grant with 25,000 reinforcements forced the Confederate to withdrawl to Corinth, Mississippi. The two day battle ended without a victory to either side. Casualties numbered over 10,000 for each army, totaling over 23,000 all together. The Battle of Perryville is where Kentucky's most important Civil War battle was fought, October 8, 1862. This battle marked the South's last chance to gain possession of the Kentucky Territory. The defeat of the Confederacy constituted to the final Union victory of the Civil War. Bill Hazelip is the father of Olleviah Hazelip who married George Dillard Lawrence. Their son is Thomas Eldon Lawrence who married Leona Willis. THeir daughter is Gladys Lawrence who married Millard Johnson, they are my husbands grandparents.


The 11th Kentucky Infantry was recruited in the fall of 1861 by C4 Pierce Butler Hawkins, of Bowling Green. The comp- nies were formed in the Green river counties, Muhlen- Butler, Warren, Edmonson, and went in camp at Calhoun, where were assembled at the same time several other Kentucky regiments. The Confederates were then in, Kentucky, at Bowling Green, Russellville, Hopkinsville and other places, and the Union regiments encamped at, Calhoun and Owensboro prevented their advance to the Ohio river. Skirmishing and picket fighting was carried on during 'December and January, but in February, 11362, upon the fall of Fort Donelson the Confederates retired, and the Federals at once advanced into Tennessee. The 11th marched from its camp at Calhoun to Owensboro, and from thence went by boat to Nashville. At Nashville the 11th was assigned to W. S. Smith's brigade, (Gen. Crittenden's division. It marched with Buell's army to Pittsburg Landing. Crossing the river the night of April 6th, it was in line at 5 o'clock a. m., t. ie 7th. Smith's brigade was the left of Crittenden's division, and the 11th Ky. was at first used as reserve. Gen. Crittenden says in his report, his command was exposed to heavy fire, that Col. IV. S. Smith, commanding the 14th Brigade "brought his command well into the. fight and was eminent for his service throughout the day." Col. Smith of the 13th Ohio, commanding the 14th Brigade says, "the 13th Ohio and 11th and 26th Ky. seemed to vie with each other in determined valor."

Col. P. B. Hawkins, in personal command of the 11th Ky., in his report makes a very interesting mention of the battle. He says: "Being ordered forward in line of battle, there not being space sufficient between Bartlett's battery on my right, and the 14th Wis. on my left, we became entangled with them, still pressing forward in that condition engaging the enemy, who were drawn. tip in considerable numbers in the brush and playing upon us from their batteries, from some cause or other we were compelled to fall back to the original line of battle. I then by your order charged the enemy, and succeeded in driving him, found and captured one piece of artillery; but was unable to hold it on account of the overwhelming number of the enemy brought to its support. We, therefore, had to fall back a second time. I was then the third time ordered to charge this min. which my men did in gallant style, and succeeded in capturing and holding it until the engagement ceased."

This statement shows the courage of the men, which seemed to rise with the danger, in the first battle they were in, and it continued to be displayed by them throughout their service. Col. Hawkins especially mentions for gallantry, Lieut. Col. S. P. Love and Maj. E. H. Mottley, officers who showed the same gallantry in many a future battle. The casualties were five killed and fortysix wounded.

In a letter to the writer, Col. S. P. Love, now a practicing lawyer at Greenville, Ky., who was in command of the regiment a long time, says the 11th "remained several days on the battlefield and then advanced to Corinth, Miss., reaching Farmington about two miles from that place, and being daily on the skirmish line, until the evacuation, some days afterward. Gen. Buell in command, we left our camp at Farmington and marched via Iuka, Miss., Tuscumbia, Florence, Ala. (crossing. the Tennessee at the old Jackson crossing), to Athens, Huntsville and Stevenson to Battle Creek, where we remained until Bragg flanked us and started on his march to Kentucky. We followed him, crossing the mountains and by way of Murfreesboro, Nashville and Bowling Green to Louisville. Thence on by Bardstown and Springfield to Perryville, in which battle my regiment took part (skirmishing), and continued in pursuit of Bragg, by Dahville, Lancaster, Stanford, Crab Orchard, Mt. Vernon. to Camp Wild Cat, when the pursuit was ended. Then y way of Somerset, Columbia and Glasgow, to Nashvjlle; thence to Murfreesboro, fighting at Stone's River." The 11th was then in Beatty's brigade, Van Cleve's division, Crittenden's corps. Two reports of the battle were made by Maj. E. L. Mottley, who commanded the regiment at that time; one of the engagement. of December 31st, the other the engagement of January 2d. In the first he describes the 11th being ordered by Gen. Rosecrans to hold the thicket "at all hazards," and Col. Mottley simply says, "we did so." The regiment was then ordered to support two batteries, "Terrill's regulars and the Chicago Board of Trade battery, where we remained the remainder of the day, my entire regiment, both officers and men, doing their whole duty."

Of the battle of January 2d, Maj. Mottley says: "I ordered my regiment forward under the most terrific storm of shot and shell and musketry it has ever been my lot to witness. I advanced about one hundred yards when I ordered a halt and commenced firing. I broke their ranks more than once. Their colors were shot down several times, but their broken ranks were speedily filled with fresh troops." The position being flanked, Maj. Mottley withdrew and crossed the river; after crossing, the 11th with other regiments of the brigade "succeeded in putting the enemy to flight, capturing four pieces of the celebrated Washington Artillery." The casualties were seven killed and eighty-five wounded, including four officers.

Col. Beatty commanding the brigade described the fighting on January 2d, and says: "The reserve, consisting of the 19th Ohio and 9th and 11th Ky., advanced most gallantly toward the crest of the hill and poured a destructive fire upon the enemy, whose first column was by this time almost annihilated." The position, however, being flanked, he took his men across the river, and then recrossed and drove back the enemy.

After the battle of Stone's River, Gen. Rosecrans, on the 29th of January, 1863, says in a communication to Gen. H. G. Wright: "I propose to send up the 9th and 11th Ky. to Bowling Green (two first rate fighting regiments raised in that neighborhood), to replenish their thinned ranks." The 11th then returned to Bowling Green, where it remained from February to July. On the 25th of June, 1863, Col. Hawkins resigned and Lieut. Col. S. P. Love was commissioned colonel in his stead. While at Bowling Green the 11th, under Lieut. Col. S. P. Love, was mounted and employed in pursuing bands of the enemy, who were infesting that section. On the 2d of May, Col. Love with his regiment and a portion of the 8th Ky. Cavalry made an excursion by way of Scottsville, capturing a number of guerrillas and clearing the country of them. From July to August, the 11th was in Judah's division, and a portion of the time was encamped at Glasgow; in September it was at Glasgow preparing to move with Burnside's force to East Tennessee. In that campaign, being mounted, it operated with the cavalry.

Of that campaign, Col. Love says: "From Bowling Green, with other troops under command of Gen. Manson, we took up the line of march by way of. Burksville, Ky., for Knoxville, where we became a part of Gen. Burnside's army, making frequent scouts toward and beyond London and Sevierville, fighting a. battle at Rockford, across the river, in which we were victorious; made several scouts up the railroad to Lenoir Station, Philadelphia, Sweetwater, continually on the lookout until Longstreet approached Knoxville; fighting him at Lenoir and Campbell Stations. When Burnside's army was driven into Knoxville my regiment was the last one in."

The 11th endured the hardships of the siege of twentyone days, participating in numerous fights around the lines, in which loss was incurred; when the siege was raised the 11th with the other forces pursued Longstreet up the valley to Bean's Station; from that place the 11th was sent on several scouts and engaged in the battle at Bean's Station, when Longstreet turned upon his pursuers and gave them a hard fight, attempting to capture them not only failed, but suffered more loss than he inflected.

From Bean's Station the 11th moved to Blain's Crossroads, and from thence reported to Gen. T. T. Garrard, -it Cumberland Gap. From thence (Col. Love being in com mand of his own regiment and the 27th Ky. Infantry), the march was to Kentucky in the midst of the winter; meeting on the way trains of - provisions going to East Tennessee, from which Col. Love supplied his command. Upon reaching Mt. Sterling, the 11th was dismounted and ordered back to Fast Tenne ssee, marching by way of Lexington, Lancaster, Stanford, Somerset, Point Burnside, and Chitwood to KnoxviIle; Col. Love says:

"I remained there until I was ordered to the crossing of the Hiawasee, where there were two block houses to guard the bridge. I had a brigade of three regiments and a battery, and continually received messages from Gen. Sherman to be vigilant against Wheeler's efforts to cut his communications. I remained there until Gen. Sherman had taken position around Marietta; I then proceeded by rail to join his army, via Cleveland and Dalton. A short distance below Kingston joined the main army, participated in the fighting around Kennesaw; thence through Marietta to the siege of Atlanta taking part in the battle in which Gen. McPherson was killed; flanking with Sherman's army, struck the railroad at Rough and ready ; fought at Jonesboro and Lovejoy."

In the reports of the Atlanta campaign, the 11th and its officers, particularly Col. Love and Lieut. Col. Mottley, are frequently mentioned. At the crossing of the Chattahoochee river by the 23d Army Corps, July 8th, which Sherman declared to be "one of the brilliant feats in the annals of war" the 12th Ky. and 11th Ky. took a leading part. The 12th under Lieut. Col. Rousseau first crossed in pontoon boats and was promptly followed by the' 11th under Col. Love; Col. Byrd, who commanded the brigade, says in his report: "Colonels Rousseau and Love behaved with the greatest gallantry as well as the officers and men under their command and performed their whole duty."

After the capture of Atlanta the 11th encamped at Decatur, Ga., until Gen. Hood made his northward move. The 11th then joined in the pursuit of Hood, marching from point to point, in Northern Georgia, during the entire month of October, 1864. It was at that time the 1st Brigade (Col. Love commanding), and Maj. W. H. Houchin commanding the regiment, 3d Division, 23d Army Corps.

When Gen. Sherman in November started on his march to the sea the 23d Corps and 4th Corps were ordered from Georgia to Nashville to serve under Gen. Thomas against Hood's army. The 11th, therefore, proceeded with the 35th Corps to Nashville and from that place to Pulaski, Tenn. On the 14th of November, 1864, while in camp at Pulaski, and before Hood entered upon his movement into
Tennessee, the 11th, 20th and 27th Ky. Infantry received orders from Gen. Schofield to proceed to Kentucky. They went by rail to Louisville and from Louisville the 11th returned to Bowling Green and on the 16th of December was mustered out of service. Col. Love being in command of the post, at Bowling Green, was mustered out a month later.

When Bill returned from war his mother, Jane Wesley Hazelip, was sick from Typhiod Fever from which she died. Bill's brother Ransom, along with one Captain Morris, in 1856 built a house in Cave City and started a Merchantile business. In January 1866 they opened another store at Brownsville, Kentucky. Captain Morris sold out his part of the company to the brothers and the company was called R.C. Hazelip and Brother. Ransom had charge of the Cave City store and Bill had charge of the one in Brownsville. In 1869 they closed the store in Cave City and Ransom moved to Brownsville to help his borther manage that store. They also opened a brokerage business which they continued until 1879 when they sold out and moved to Smith's Grove, Kentucky where they started a banking house. In 1880 the Deposit Bank of Smith's Grove commenced business with Ransom as cashier. The authorized capitol being 100,000 dollars. William and Ransom owned all of the stock and they also owned 7000 acres of land in Edmondson, Warren, and Barren Counties, Kentucky. They owned 1000 acres in Kansas and residential property in Smith's Grove. Bill was a member of the Masonic Fraternity and in politics was a Republican.