Make your own free website on

Thomas Jefferson Daugherty


THOMAS JEFFERSON DAUGHERTY was a private in the 17th Kentucky Infantry. Organized at Hartford and Calhoun, Ky., September to December, 1861. Attached to 13th Brigade, Army of Ohio, to December, 1861. 13th Brigade, 5th Division, Army of Ohio, to February, 1862. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of the Tennessee, to March, 1862. 3rd Brigade, 4th Division, Army of the Tennessee, to April, 1862. 10th Brigade, 4th Division, Army of the Ohio, to July, 1862. 9th Brigade, 3rd Division, Army of Ohio, to September, 1862. District of Western Kentucky, Dept. of Ohio, to November, 1862. Post of Clarksville, Tenn., Dept. of the Cumberland, to March, 1863. 1st Brigade, 3rd Division, 21st Army Corps, Army of the Cumberland, to October, 1863. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 4th Army Corps, to January, 1865.

Thomas Jefferson Daugherty's Life and Service in the Civil War

1830, January 6: Thomas Jefferson Daugherty was born in Spencer County, Indiana to Thomas J. Daugherty and Mary Polly White.

1848, March 27: Thomas married Sarah Ferguson in Ohio County, Kentucky. She is the daughter of Paul Ferguson II and Mahala Gilstrap and was born November 1830 in Spencer County Indiana.

1850: Son William S. Daugherty is born in Ohio County, Kentucky.

1851, January 10: Daughter Armilda Ann Daugherty is born in Ohio County, Kentucky. She married Jasper R. Burden April 7, 1885 In Butler County, Kentucky. Armilda died January 16, 1933 in Butler County, Kentucky.

1855, September: Daughter Eliza Catherine "Nicey" Daugherty is born in Ohio County, Kentucky.

1858, May 8: Son James E. Daugherty is born in Ohio County, Kentucky.

1859: Sally M. Daugherty is born in Ohio County, Kentucky.

1861, September 6: Enrollment begins for Thomas's regiment the 17th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry. Colonel McHenry establishes Camp Colloway... in Hartford, and camps in Owensboro, Henderson, and Calhoun Kentucky for recruits from adjacent counties. In that they were subject to attack from Confederate State Guards, the camps remained vigilant and the men were in active service from the time of their enlistment. Col. McHenry says: Great difficulty and even danger was experienced by recruiting officers in Western Kentucky in filling up their ranks. In many counties were numerous persons who desired to volunteer in the regiments then being formed for the Union army. They had no opportunity for doing so without fleeing to the north side of Green river. Leaving their homes and families unprotected, they would band together in squads, and with such arms as could be procured, cross the river at night and come hastily to the Union camps.

1861, October 3: Thomas enlists in George A. Little's Company H, 17th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry at Calhoun in Mclean County, Kentucky. His name was also spelled Dority, Dorrity, and Daughety on some of his military records.

1861, October 29: Thomas's regiment engages the enemy at Big Hill or Woodbury near Morgantown. Confederates had advanced in Kentucky on October 23, 1861, and occupied the town of Bowling Green, only seventeen miles from Woodbury. On that Monday, the 28th of October, Confederate General Albert Sidney Johnston took command of forces in central Kentucky. He began moving cavalry forces across the Green River. Confederates cavalry crossed the Green River occupying Woodbury, on Tuesday, October 29, 1861. It was Captain Thomas Lewers, commanding the 1st Mississippi Cavalry Regiment. During the Confederate occupation of Bowling Green they set up an outpost at Woodbury in Butler County, Kentucky for the purpose of scouting Green and Barren Rivers and for observing enemy movements in the area. Hearing of the outpost, Union regiments from Harford, Calhoun, and Owensboro, including the 17th, joined forces at Cromwell to plan attack. On the morning of October 29, 1861, as they traveled to Woodbury, Union soldier Greenville Allen was killed by the Confederate scouting party near Morgantown. He was the first Kentuckian killed on Kentucky soil in the Civil War. Later that day at Woodbury, Union forces were succesful in one of the war's first skirmishes in the state, driving the Confederates back toward Bowling Green. In their retreat the Confederates received re-enforcement and turned to pursue the Union Enemy, catching them at Cromwell the next day as the last crossed the Green River into Ohio, County. Four Union Soldiers were killed and several wounded.

1861, November: The 17th, with other Union regiments,was still only partially organized, and was concentrated at Calhoon under command of Gen. Thos. L. Crittenden, of Frankfort. The Union units were the 11th Ky., P. B. Hawkins; 17th Ky.,Col. McHenry; 25th Ky., Col. J. M. Shackelford; 26th Ky., Col. S. G. Burbridge; 3rd Ky. Cay., Col. J. S. Jackson, and the 31st, 42d, 43rd and 44th Indiana, and a battery of artillery. Here the recruits suffered greatly from measles, flu and pneumonia, and many were so disabled that they were afterwards discharged.

1861, December 28, The 17th engages in the Battle of Sacramento as a part of the ten thousand troops, stationed at Calhoun, Kentucky, under Union Major General Thomas L. Crittenden. Confederate Colonel Nathan Bedford Forrest's first battle was in Sacramento in Mclean County, Kentucky. His reconnaissance command of 300 strong engaged over 200 Union troops headquartered 10 miles North at Calhoun. According to Forrest's report, he and his troops were traveling on the Rumsey Road when a scout reported that approximately 500 Union Troops had crossed from Calhoun to Rumsey. It was at this point that Mollie Morehead, a confederate sympathizer, joined Forrest and his troops with her warning of the Union troops. Forrest described her as "a beautiful young lady, smiling, with untied tresses floating in the breeze, on horseback". Forrest was finally able to induce her to turn back before they intercepted the Union troops. Forrest and his troops came within a mile of Sacramento and were within sight of the rear guard of the Union Cavalry which had halted. Forrest took a Maynard rifle and fired at them and the rear guard rode off to join their column. Forrest ordered his men to follow, but not to fire until they were closer. When he was within 120 yards of the Union line, Forrest felt he did not have sufficient manpower to charge them. He was in command of 300 soldiers. When the Union troops had advanced to 100 yards, Forrest devised a maneuver that he was to use again and again throughout the war. He had some of his men dismount and act as sharpshooters. While they kept the Union soldiers busy, he ordered a flank movement by Starnes to take 30 mounted troops to the Union's left and Kelley to take 60 mounted men to their right. When this maneuver suceeded in confusing the Union line, Forrest led a charge with a sword in his hand. The Union Cavalry broke and ran and Forrest and his men pursued them through Sacramento and then on for two more miles. A squadron of Union soldiers stopped and turned to face the Confederates. Forrest, leading the pursuit, suddenly found hiself surrounded by Union soldiers. Captain Merriwether, who was right behind him, was killed by a bullet wound to the head. Then Forrest killed Union Captain Bacon with his Sword. Confederate private W.H. Terry was killed by Union Captian Davis while trying to protect Forrest and Forrest, in trying to reach Terry, rammed his horse into Davis' mount. They both fell off. Davis dislocated his shoulder in the fall and surrendered. Forrest killed two more soldiers with his sword before the squadron surrendered. Two Confederate soldiers were killed and three privates were wounded. Crittenden reported that nine soldiers were killed, Captain Davis was captured, 40 men were missing. He stated, "We have five or six men wounded so badly that we could not bring them in." Many of the Union soldiers were killed along the road during the chase. That night Forrest and his men stayed at Greenville. By February 1821, Crittenden was no longer stationed at Calhoun.

Monument at Sacramento, Kentucky

1861, December 30: Measles are raging through his camp and he contracts them. He is "down sick" for some time because he had been lying on the ground in his camp and suffered from exposure to the cold. His wife Sarah Ferguson cam to see about him at Camp Calhoun and was told to stay in his tent and care for him. She stayed and gave service cooking and caring for him and other sick soldiers until he was sent home on sick furlough January 9, 1862.

1862, January: Thomas contracted pnumonia which caused lung disease from which he never recovered. He also had severe scurvey.

1862: Daughter Susan A. Daughety is born in Ohio County, Kentucky.

1862, January 9-February 9: Thomas was sent home on sick furlough by Colonel John H. McHenry.

1862, May-June: Thomas is back on his regiment's roll.

1862, June: Following the Union Victory at Shiloh, of which Thomas was not present with his regiment, the Union armies under Major General Henry Halleck advanced on the vital rail center of Corinth. By May 25th, 1862, after moving five miles in three weeks, Halleck was in position to lay siege to the town. The preliminary bombardment began, and Union forces maneuvered for position. On the evening of May 29/30, Confederate commander General P.G.T. Beauregard evacuated Corinth, withdrawing to Tupelo. The Federals had consilidated their position in Northern Mississippi. This was a Union victory even though the raid ultimately failed.

1862, August: Thomas remained home until the time that General Bragg was marching through Kentucky to Louisville which was when he rejoined the command and went to Nashville, Tennessee. At this time he was sent to the regimental hospital because he was "looking very bad" and he complained of his lungs hurting and he was not able to perform any sort of duty.

1862, September 1: Thomas is sent home when he was discharged from service.

1863, October 2: Son Alfred Judson Daugherty is born in Ohio County, Kentucky.

1867: Son John D. Daugherty was born in Ohio County, Kentucky.

1877: Thomas contracted Typhiod while living in Mclean County, Kentucky.

1884, April: Thomas is living in Owensboro in Daviess County, Kentucky and his pension begins.

1884, November 11: Thomas's wife Sarah Ferguson dies and he obtains proof and liscense of death from Hartford in Ohio County, Kentucky. Calvin Kessinger who had served in the same regiment as Thomas testified in Thomas's behalf many times so he could receive pension. In fact, Calvin's sister, Luellen Palestine Kessinger, married Thomas's son Alfred Judson Daugherty.

1887: Thomas is living in Greenville in Muhlenburg County, Kentucky.

1890: Thomas is living in Rosine in Ohio County, Kentucky and he complains to his military doctors of constant cough, smothering spells, spitting up blood, and heart palpatations. His doctors rate his disability as being as severe as that of an individual who had lost a hand or a foot.

1893, December 16: Thomas marries his second wife Cecilia Burden in Butler County, Kentucky. She was born February 28, 1875 so when they married Thomas was 62 and his wife was 17. Cecilia is the daughter of James Burden and Angelity Keith.

1895, February 9: Daughter Bessie Daugherty is born in Butler County, Kentucky. There is 28 years between Thomas's youngest child and Bessie and 45 years between his oldest child and Bessie.

1897: Thomas lived in Baizetown in Ohio County, Kentucky and is said to have heart disease and deformity of his right side in addition to lung disease.

1902, October: Thomas is living in Morgantown in Butler County, Kentucky and in addition to the above stated diseases he has "a clear cute case of tuberculosis". Stated that prior to his service he had been a fine specimen of physical manhood and is now a "physical wreck". Doctors also say that "his right lung is about as near gone as we've ever seen one". His muscles are atrophied. He has constant cough, chest pain, heart palpations, and is weak and exhausted.

1904, September 17: Thomas marries third wife Effie Kimbee in Butler County, Kentucky. She is the daughter of Andrew Kimbee and Francis Clementine Daugherty and was born May 9, 1891. So when they married Thomas was 74 and she was 13. They had no children.

1906, December 6: Thomas dies in Butler County, Kentucky.